Literary Corner Cafe

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Writing Life - My Ten Favorite Books Written by Women

This list was inspired by a blog entry on the site She Writes.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Gardens of Kyoto by Kate Walbert
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
Emma by Jane Austen

Let me know what you think of my own personal choices and what your favorite books, written by women authors are.

7 comments:

Erika Robuck said...

Based on that list, we have a lot in common.

POSSESSION is actually my all-time favorite book. I also love Margaret Atwood's ALIAS GRACE, and Susan Vreeland's LUNCHEON OF THE BOATING PARTY.

Gabrielle Renoir-Large said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Irma said...

Beside J.Austen and V.Wolf from your list I like M.Atwood (Oryx and Crake)and certainly Katherine Mansfield. Her short stories are marvelous.
Beloved by Toni Morrison is on my wish-to-be-read list but I am a bit afraid of it. There is a lot of cruelty in this book, isn't it?

Irma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabrielle Renoir-Large said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabrielle Renoir-Large said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Irma said...

Toni Morisson's Beloved is realy a great book. I do not like books about slavery and torturing, but in this book the cruelty is only a background for something else - for love. It is all about love.