Literary Corner Cafe

Friday, October 23, 2009

So Little Time!

When I agreed to take over this blog from a friend, I thought I'd have more time for it. I was wrong. However, I'm going to try to make time.

Today, I was browsing books, looking for something new to read. God only knows why as I have more than enough books on my shelves right now to last me until I reach the ripe old age of 100, maybe 110. However, Cutting for Stone caught my eye. So, I decided to read some reviews of it and this review on about.com made me decide to steer clear of the book no matter what:

Don't judge this book by its cover. Cutting for Stone is a masterful first work of fiction by Abraham Verghese. Not since Khaled Hosseini debuted with The Kite Runner has their been a novel that could and should capture the hearts of people around the world.

Poor Adam Verghese! To have his first novel judged against the horrid and horrendously written, The Kite Runner, is, well, punishment in the extreme. Verghese may have written a perfectly wonderful book (and I rather liked the cover), but if it bears any resemblance to The Kite Runner, I want nothing to do with it.

I hope when Mark's and my book is published, no one compares it to something that was, to put it charitably, just plain awful.

No comments: