Literary Corner Cafe

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Memorable Quotes from Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights

I'm one of the world's most romantic of romantics, so Emily Bronte's magnificently passionate novel, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books of all time. With Valentine's Day coming up on Thursday, thoughts of many literature lovers are naturally turning toward romance.

Below are some of my favorite quotes, from both the book and the film (which didn't begin to do justice to the book) :

If he loved you with all the power of his soul for a whole lifetime, he couldn't love you as much as I do in a single day. Heathcliff to Catherine, speaking of Edgar Linton

I make you my queen. Whatever happens out there, here, you will always be my queen. Heathcliff to Catherine (Hey, Heathcliff, women don't want to be queens, just loved.)

Make the world stop right here. Make everything stop and stand still and never move again. Make the moors never change, and you and I never change. Catherine to Heathcliff

I want to crawl to her feet, whimper to be forgiven, for loving her, for needing her more than my own life, for belonging to her more than my own soul. Heathcliff, speaking of Catherine

...he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. Catherine, speaking of Heathcliff

...if everything in the world died and Heathcliff remained, life would still be full for me. Catherine, speaking of Heathcliff

How can you stand here beside me and pretend not to remember? Not to know that my heart is breaking for you, that your face is the wonderful light burning in all this darkness. Heathcliff to Catherine

If you ever looked at me once with what I know is in you, I would be your slave. Heathcliff to Catherine

Be with me always. Take any form, drive me mad, only do not leave me in this dark alone where I cannot find you. Heathcliff, to Catherine, after her death

I cannot live without my life! I cannot die without my soul! Heathcliff, after Catherine's tragic death

No comments: